Thursday 5 July 2012

Week 4: St Ives to Penzance 'On the Path' Day 23

Zennor to Pendeen
8 miles
1600 ft of ascent
Word of the day: Climbers
Another tough day, really feeling it in my knees. Respect is due to anyone who walks from St Ives to Pendeen in one day.
Stopped to sketch an offshore island covered in black and orange lichen. Then stopped on a boulder beach to sketch and have lunch.

Walked past Bosigran and saw some rock climbers; Tim looked on wistfully. Did a quick ink sketch of the rocks that the climbers call Commando Ridge but it was very windy and hard to concentrate so I abandoned it. A long stretch of high cliffs was followed by a sandy beach at Portheras Cove.
Hunger and the threat of yet more rain drove us inland slightly earlier than planned - camped at the North Inn in Pendeen and had a hearty meal in the pub.
I hit a wall today, both physically and mentally; as I was walking along racked with pain in my legs I thought to myself "I don't have to do this", and more importantly "why am I doing this?" Will it make any difference to the artwork - the fact that I have walked it all? I started to have thoughts of pleasant day trips in the car with a stroll down to the coast for a spot of sketching followed by a warm and dry bed and breakfast! I clearly need to take myself off to one side for a bit of a talking to!

No comments:

Post a Comment